Today I turned 17. Since I’m truly grateful for all the good and bad that happened to me while being 16, I decided to share with you everything I got to understand and learn at this beautiful age.
It’s been a great year for me. I’ve learned lots of new things and met amazing new people. This year has been treating me good so far. So here are 16 things I learned while being 16.
1. Saying yes to almost everything will do you so good. You have no idea how many new and exciting things happened to me in these couple of months just because I said “yes”.
2. Just be yourself. Yes it’s scary and we can all agree with that. But what could be better than attracting people that are just like you? I’ll tell you. Nothing.
3. Always make time for your best friend. They’re one of the most important people in your life and having them is a blessing.
4. Cut toxic people out of your life. As much as you want them in your lives, they’ll do you no good. Trust me with this one. Long toxic friendships are going to lower your self-esteem a lot. It’s just something you don’t need.
5. Read. It’s the most relaxing thing ever. Just imagine sitting on the couch with your favourite cup of tea in one hand and a book in the other one.
6. I’ve learned that I’m a sucker for classic and historical books. Although I never imagined myself reading these type of books, apparently that’s all I’m enjoying now.
7. Working out is everything. There is something about finishing a workout and feeling so happy and full of energy. There are many times when I prefer sitting in bed and just doing nothing because I’m lazy and then I regret my decision. Working out has been a big part of my life for the past couple of years and I can’t stress enough how important it is to at least try it. It will change your life and the way you see things. Trust me.
8. But what’s more important than working out is eating healthy. I’m not saying that you should cut out all the sugar and such. What I mean with that, is try and have as many greens, fruits and vegetables as possible. You’ll feel amazing.
9. Moms are always right. They just feel when something isn’t right for you. Even if you don’t believe her at the moment, odds are she’s gonna be right.
10. School is not everything. Do what you love. Don’t just stop working on your passion simply because you have something for school. In the end, no one will ask about how you did in school.
11. Wake up early! I know.. we all want to sleep as much as possible but do you like seeing your days go by because you slept in way too much? Yes I am not a morning person at all but lately I’ve been trying to wake up at 7 every morning. Sadly you won’t succeed in doing that without going to bed early as well. But believe me when I say that you’ll feel so productive when you wake up early.
12. My dad is cool. He’s funny and wants what’s best for me in the end, even if it may not seem like it. Dads have a weird way of showing their love so just know that it is there.
13. Give yourself a couple months of thinking before you want to buy something very expensive. It may seem exciting now and you’ll probably spend all your money on it but what if you won’t need it after a week? It’s not worth it.
14. Always trust your gut. I just know that no matter what I do or think, my gut is right almost all the time.
15. Your sister is going to stay with you forever. Make your relationship work because she’s the one you’re going to have by your side for the rest of your life. And you’re going to love it.
16. The best is yet to come. Your life may not be exactly the way you want it to be but you still have a lot to learn so just be calm and know that all of your dreams will come true at some point.
The person whom inspired me to write this post is Alexa Losey.